41 shots that shaped history
These days, we like to think we know it all, especially when it comes to things like fashion, style and public image. Trends have always changed, and not always for the better, but as the following pictures show, there are some styles that are just timeless. These 41 shots all had an impact when they were first taken, and their careless elegance can still provide inspiration, even today.
1. The irresistible Audrey Hepburn at a film premiere in 1953.
2. Frank Sinatra after landing in a helicopter with a drink in his hand.
3. A rocker bride sitting on her motorcycle in England.
4. The Beatles in Germany before they became world famous.
5. Ice skaters on a frozen lake in New York's Central Park, 1937.
6. Ellen O'Neal, the best female skateboarder of the 70s, while practicing.
7. Three cool kids on the streets of Kingston, Jamaica.
8. Jimi Hendrix backstage in Monterey, 1967.
9. Diana Rigg (from "Game of Thrones") in 1967.
10. Canadian Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau (in the middle with glasses) and his cabinet from 1968. Today, his oldest son holds the same office.
11. A girl riding her scooter in 1969.
12. Caroline Kennedy walking ahead of her father, who's carrying her favorite doll.
13. A few greasers hanging out in New York in the 50s.
14. Sean Connery relaxing in a smoker's lounge.
15. Passing notes in class in 1944.
16. Ernest Hemingway's passport photo from 1923.
17. A special edition of LIFE magazine with the theme, "Students and Fashion."
18. Clint Eastwood with co-stars in San Francisco, 1954.
19. Women boxing on a rooftop in Los Angeles, 1933.
20. A youthful Sigourney Weaver wearing a pant suit.
21. A group of women wearing some pretty dresses: fashion from the early 50s.
22. Kids in Chicago, 1941.
23. Marlon Brando auditioning for a role which James Dean actually got in the end.
24. Cary Grant - an image of style and sophistication in the early 50s.
25. A family photo at the turn of the century.
26. A couple dancing to bebop.
27. Brigitte Bardot looking over Pablo Picasso's shoulder while he paints.
28. Michael Caine (a two-time Oscar winner) reading his paper.
29. A salesman on motor roller-skates filling up at a petrol station.
30. Paul McCartney and Mick Jagger sitting casually in a train carriage heading for Wales.
31. Sean Connery leaving his home for a round of golf.
32. David Bowie's mug shots (he was arrested for supposed possession of drugs).
33. Boxing legend Muhammad Ali finely dressed — a contrast with his usual attire of gloves and shorts.
34. A model during a photo shoot at Union Square in New York City - check out her waistline!
35. An attractive couple gazing at each other in London.
36. Teenagers on a first date in a milk bar in the 50s.
37. A couple on Michigan Avenue in Chicago in the late 60s.
38. Just an ordinary day in the office with a cigarette in her hand - unthinkable today.
39. Dean Martin and Angie Dickinson on the film set of "Rio Bravo."
40. Teenagers with their first car in the early 50s.
41. Paul Newman on a boat excursion in Venice.
What a stylish collection! Whether people will look back at the trends of our time (coffee-to-go in one hand and cellphone in the other) with such admiration remains to be seen! ;)