35 pictures that show how wonderful life in the past could really be
A single picture can often say more than an entire novel and these photos are perfect examples of this. They show people enjoying quiet moments, times of happiness and expressions of relief after a period of extreme tension.
But no matter what the situation, one thing holds true for each one of them: the viewer is left with a deep and lasting impression...
1. The American soldier Frank Praytor feeds a tiny orphaned kitten that he found during World War II.
2. A little girl holding a frog in Venice Beach, California in 1936.
3. In 1966 a blind woman enjoyed a swim while her service dog kept an eye on her.
4. An American soldier had a very special encounter with this cute little kangaroo in 1942.
5. An Austrian boy happily holds up the new shoes he got during WWII.
6. In the London Zoo a little girl smiles as she holds on to a penguin's flipper while they go for walk. The photo was taken in 1937.
7. A nun dancing with two children in 1964.
8. A happy dog owner enjoys a bubble bath with his best friend in 1934.
9. Two friends having a good old singalong.
10. A little girl giving this cute puppy a big kiss.
11. This French girl is so happy after the liberation of her country after WWII that she gives an American soldier a big kiss on the cheek.
12. To prove that lipstick isn't dangerous, this cosmetics company employee let himself be kissed over and over again. It brought a smile to people's faces in 1960 and still does to this very day.
13. A young Marilyn Monroe is thrown in the air on a makeshift trampoline. In 1948 nobody had any idea that she would become such a huge star.
14. In 1935, this bloodhound was a champion in competitions. But for this little girl, he was just a big, cuddly friend.
15. A young Carrie Fisher (later to become famous for her role as "Princess Leia") watches her mother Debbie Reynolds performing on stage.
16. The farm cats get a taste test during milking. The cute scene was photographed in 1954.
17. Queen Elizabeth II in 1973 cuddling with her Corgis during a horse show at Windsor Castle.
18. A young boy bringing home a baguette for dinner in 1952.
19. In 1938 the doorman at Piccadilly Circus greeted a special four-legged guest.
20. Good friends help each other in all situations.
21. In the 1890s, getting your photo taken was still a very special occasion. This couple couldn't help getting a bit silly during their big photoshoot.
22. During a break in the fighting, these Russian soldiers enjoyed a much-needed nap with a cuddly little friend. The photo was taken during WWII.
23. This young couple were overjoyed when he returned home from the war to his home in Connecticut in 1945.
24. These soldiers from India had just arrived in Europe to fight alongside the English and French armies. A little boy politely introduced himself to them on September 30, 1914 in Marseilles.
25. A few seconds later this child's eyes lit up!
26. A happy reunion when this soldier was home on leave in the 1940s.
27. The holiday season has always been a busy time for postal workers as shown in this picture of a mail carrier taken in 1929 in snowy Chicago.
28. During the war in the Pacific this American shared a banana with a goat. This photo was taken in 1944 on the island of Saipan.
29. In France, this little girl gave her feline friend a big hug in 1959.
30. In 1956 they were already starting to use animals for therapy. These cute ducklings helped this little girl through her treatment.
31. Cooling off on the rooftops during the sweltering summer of 1943.
32. This elephant thought it was a nanny in this photo from 1958.
33. A little boy who could hear for the first time in his life. You can almost feel his sense of wonder in this photo taken in 1974.
34. Role reversal can lead to some very funny scenes.
35. This busker found a true fan.
Wow! These photos are really like windows into a time gone by. You can almost feel the emotion in every one of them. It's hard not to smile when you see beautiful images like these that capture the real wonder and joy of life.