30 abandoned places that are absolutely magnificent
No one travels to them anymore, they have fallen into neglect. These are the abandoned locations documented by a dedicated account on Instagram. These locations possess a magical atmosphere, maybe even mystical, that inspires us to dream about what might have happened there.
1. Nature has re-asserted itself in Norway
2. The ghost town of Belchite in the Spanish region of Aragon. Through the open roof, you can see thousands of stars looking down on these deserted buildings.
3. In the south of Namibia in Africa, sand has quietly taken over the rooms of this house.
4. These steps at Oahu in Hawaii could be leading to Heaven. Who wants to take a walk through the fog?
5. Little by little, with the help of the encroaching plants, this greenhouse is really living up to its name.
6. A little car, abandoned on Lagoon Beach in South Africa.
7. This old boat appears to be sinking into the bed of a dried up river, even though the water is long gone. Strangely beautiful to see.
8. This majestic Buddha is an embodiment of Buddhist precepts: live in sync with nature and the elements.
9. It's hard to believe a tunnel like this exists in a city like Paris. But we can see how the greenery has overwhelmed the railway and the stone walls.
10. An absolutely stunning wreck in Tobermory, Canada.
11. No one goes dancing at this Austrian nightclub anymore.
12. Even abandoned, this French church is still a peaceful sanctuary.
13. A deserted castle in Belgium.
14. This church was left to the plants and wildlife. We're sure the stained glass windows were stunning, but the view now's not bad either.
15. This house was probably once pretty luxurious, but now there's nobody home.
16. The ancient city of Angkor in Cambodia.
17. A tiny house nestles on the rocks at Crystal Mill, Colorado.
18. One of the initiation wells at Sintra, Portugal. An inverted tower, where stairs spiral down into the ground.
19. The "Yellow Brick Road" of an abandoned Wizard of Oz theme park in North Carolina.
20. It's been a long time since this castle in Poland hosted any princes or princesses.
21. Nature's re-assertion of its dominance is particularly striking in this fishing village next to China's Yangtze River.
22. The wreck of this cargo ship and the secrets it might be hiding weren't enough to scare the diver who took this amazing photo.
23. Even without any stained glass, the light pouring in through this cracked chapel's roof still creates an aura of holiness.
24. Portuguese ducks and geese are now the lords of this little castle.
25. It was an asylum, now it's a hauntingly beautiful abandoned building.
26. In Detroit, the benches of this church are no longer full of worshippers, they are covered in graffiti.
27. The wreck of the Baltray in Ireland is in an advanced state of decomposition.
28. And the SS American Star, wrecked off the coast of Fuerteventura in the Canary Islands in 1994, would experience a similar fate.
29. Even abandoned, the Orient Express still looks luxurious.
30. This abandoned hotel in San Antonio del Tequendama in Columbia still offers a breathtaking view over the waterfalls, even if no one stays there anymore to appreciate it.
These locations look like they're from the pages of a storybook, but they actually exist in the real world. Incredible!